Tenses in Questions

Nana85

Hello Minioo and Community,

I have learned the chapter 'be doing and going to do' from the upper elementry part.

While filling in the exercise Part, I realised, that I'm very unsure which time to choose in the questions phrases. As I looked back to the learning part of this chapter, I found not much information to that, except, that one can use either 'to be+ing' or 'going to' for asking somebody about their personal plans and to avoid 'will' in these questions, except when followed by an if-clause.

Is there another chapter where this is being explaint in depth?

Her some examples of the exercise Part, where I didn't know why the chosen tense is the correct one.

-1. When do your classes start next term?

-2. What time is the taxi picking you Up?

-10. What time does the show begin

tonight?

This following exercise ist not a question, but I still could not Figuren out why simple present is the correct tense in this phrase.

-4. This programme doesn't end until

November.

Could you please give me an explanation why the chosen tenses are the correct ones in these cases and tell me in which chapter I can find more information about this?

Thanks a lot in advance and best wishes.

Nana

• Head Tutor

Hello Nana,

Thank you for your question.

The concept is the same whether you are asking a question or making a statement:

What is your personal plan? >> What are you going to do?

What have you arranged? >> What are you doing? (No. 2 above)
What is the scheduled timetable? >> When does it happen? (No. 1, 10, 4 above)

There's a revision lesson in the PDF library here, which as a Bronze member you have access to:

https://app.anglo-link.com/files/file/61-grammar-lesson-future-tenses-intentions-arrangements/

There's a more comprehensive lesson on this topic here:
https://app.anglo-link.com/video_lessons/watch/ex-14.

It's an exclusive lesson for Silver and Gold members, but if you wish, you can access it by using credits to unlock it.

Also, please remember that you're invited to a live session with me every other Saturday at 2 p.m. London time. You should be receiving an invitation every other Wednesday. The next session is this coming Saturday, 16th December, and you'll receive the details tomorrow.

I highly recommend that you attend these sessions, particularly when you have specific questions like this, so I can answer your question fully and make sure you have no further doubts.

All the best,

Minoo

Hello Minioo,

thank you so much for your very detailed information to my questions. It helpt me quiet a bit to clear things up for me. I will watch the two lessons you recommended to this topic as well and if I still have questions after that, I will ask you in comming up Video lessons.

Thanks again and have a good rest of the week.

With best regards

Nana