Butterfly 55

Indirect (reported) speech with quiestion.

Butterfly 55

Hey,  Have been working on Indirect (reported) speech with questions for a some days. And, I am wondering if my answers are correct.

1. How much do you earn?                                                                           Your answer: Would you mind my asking how much you earn?             Correction :  Would you mind my asking how much you earned?    X…?
Example: Are you married?     (Present Perfect)                                                                                              Would you mind my asking if you are married?  (echoing back - Present Perfect)

2. Question: Why haven't you mentioned this before?                              Your answer: May I ask why you haven't mentioned that before?  - correction: this -

3. Question: He said, 'Shall we meet them half way?'                               Your answer: He invited us to meet them half way.   He invited meeting them half way.    Answer : X ?                           - He suggested meeting them half way (After lengthy talks the two sides finally reached a compromise.) 

4. Question: We said to them, 'Would you like to send us a proposal?'    Your answer: We suggested sending us/ told us to send a proposal. - We asked/ offered them to send us a proposal. The moment one uses the expression ‘Would like…’, than automatically, will it be ‘an offer’ or ‘a demand’.   

5. Question: She said to the staff, 'Don't argue with me.'                            Your answer: She asked the staff not to argue with her.     - told-   (to order or advise somebody to do something. Example : - tell somebody -  Children must do as theyʼre told.)                                                                                                                            

Butterfly 55
1 minute ago, Butterfly 55 said:

Hey,  Have been working on Indirect (reported) speech with questions for a some days. And, I am wondering if my answers are correct.

1. How much do you earn?                                                     Your answer: Would you mind my asking how much you earn?  Correction :  Would you mind my asking how much you earned?    X…?
Example: Are you married?     (Present Perfect)  Would you mind my asking if you are married?  (echoing back - Present Perfect)

2. Question: Why haven't you mentioned this before?        Your answer: May I ask why you haven't mentioned that before?  - correction: ...this before. -

3. Question: He said, 'Shall we meet them half way?'          Your answer: He invited us to meet them half way. He invited meeting them half way. Answer: X ?        - He suggested meeting them half way (After lengthy talks the two sides finally reached a compromise.) 

4. Question: We said to them, 'Would you like to send us a proposal?'    Your answer: We suggested sending us/ told us to send a proposal. - Correction: We asked/ offered them to send us a proposal. --> The moment one uses the expression ‘Would like…’, than automatically, will it be ‘an offer’ or ‘a demand’.   

5. Question: She said to the staff, 'Don't argue with me.'      Your answer: She asked the staff not to argue with her.     - told-   (to order or advise somebody to do something. Example : - tell somebody -  Children must do as theyʼre told.)                                                                                                                            

Minoo

Hello Butterfly55,

Yes, your answers are correct too. Two points to remember:

1. If the situation is still the same, you can use the Present Tense too: Are you married? >> I was wondering if you were / are married.

2. 'tell / order', 'ask', 'invite' are ' all create correct sentences but the context changes from order to request to invitation.