Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly 55

Causative verbs : Have & Get

Butterfly 55

Hi, I'm struggling with the correct use of causative forms.

Question: He has asked his gardener to plant more flowers. (have)            Your answer: (ordered his gardener…to do) He had his gardener planted more flowers.

Question: I'm going to ask my partner to drive me to the airport. (have)            Your answer: I'm going to have my partner to drive me to the airport.
(decided to do …) I’m going to have my partner driven me to the airport.

Question: When was the last time you asked a mechanic to change the engine oil? (get)                Your answer: When was the last time you got a mechanic changed the engine oil?
(I do not know when the oil had been changed, so I asked… must be in the active form.) When was the last time you got the mechanic to change the oil last time.

Question: I think you should ask a decorator to paint your doors. (have)           Your answer: You should have a decorator to paint your doors.
(Advice him to do…passive form) You should have a decorator painted your doors.

Question: Last week, I asked an electrician to repair my dishwasher. (get)             Your answer: (A fact, and I paid him) Last week, I got an electrician repaired my dishwasher.

Question: She usually asks one of her friends( direct object) to bake the cakes (indirect object). (have)            Your answer:  (routine, external obligation) She usually has the cakes (indirect object) baked by one of her friends (direct object).

Question: They're asking a florist to deliver the flowers to my address. (get)        Your answer: (A wish to be fulfilled, a job) They’re getting the flowers delivered to my address.

Question: If my mum has time, I'll ask her to make me some soup. (get)       Your answer: (external obligation, request - passive form) If my mum has time, I'll get her to make some soup.

Question: The firm may be asking auditors to audit the accounts. (have)     Your answer: (The chef of staff may be wondering about the auditors decision - passive form) The firm may have the accounts to be audited (by the auditors)

Minoo

Hello Butterfly55,

I would recommend you review the lesson again, and then redo the exercises. Your mistakes are in two different types:

1) Form: He had his gardener planted more flowers. / I'm going to have my partner to drive me.

2) Usage: Use the Passive form for 'experts': He had more flowers planted.  / Use the Active form for friends & family: She usually has a friend bake the cakes.

I hope this helps.

Butterfly 55

Hi, since I’ve found it difficult to fill the right Causative Form. Found this on the Web.

https://www.engvid.com/english-grammar-causative-verbs/ (and its quiz.)
Causative verbs : make, have, let, get, help.
She made me wash the dishes. (forced)
My dad let me go by myself. ( gave permission)
She got me to mow the lawn. ( convinced/ persuaded)
Engvid has helped me improve/ to improve (aided) my English.

https://www.engvid.com/english-grammar-passive-causative/  (and its quiz.)
Passive Causative : The subject is receiving the action.
Yesterday, my car broke down.   I had it fixed by a mechanic.
Subject + have / get + object + P.P. ( by agent)
My hair is too long!   You should get it cut!
My teeth hurt!  You should have them looked at! (optional: by the dentist.)

P.S. I’ve also read the articles in Cambridge Grammar of English. ‘Have’ pseudo-passive forms : 292b, 476, 480, 484 & 485.

Regard.

Butterfly 55

Hi,  You have suggested ‘He had his gardener plant (with no - ed ending ) more flowers.’  even with 'He had more flowers planted.' which is the answer to the question: ‘He has asked his gardener to plant more flowers. (have)' is not accepted as a correct answer, see for yourself.

Kind regards.

Edited by Butterfly 55

Minoo

Hello Butterfly55,

Your mistake is in the tense, not in the structure:

He HAS asked his gardener to plan more flowers. >> He HAS had more flowers planted.

I'm glad you've got the hang of these structures now. They're rather tricky.

Happy continuation!

Butterfly 55

Hi, can not figure out where those mistakes lay.

Question: He has asked his gardener to plant more flowers. (have)     Your answer: He (subject) had had (active causative form) his gardener (agent) planted (Past Participle)  more flowers (object).

Question: They're asking a florist to deliver the flowers to my address. (get)       Your answer: They’re (subject)  having (active causative form)  a florist (agent) delivered (Past Participle) the flowers  (object) to my address.

Question: If my mum has time, I'll ask her to make me some soup. (get)     Your answer: If my mum has time, I’ll (subject) get (active causative form)  her (agent) make (base Infinitive ) me some soup (object frase).

Question: The firm may be asking auditors to audit the accounts. (have)      Your answer: The firm  (subject) may be having (active causative form) auditors (agent) audit (base Infinitive ) the accounts (object).

Minoo
On 11/5/2019 at 12:21 PM, Butterfly 55 said:

The instruction is to use the Passive form when the agent is an expert and  the Active form when they're not: 

Hi, can not figure out where those mistakes lay.

Question: He has asked his gardener to plant more flowers. (have)     Your answer: He (subject) had has had (active causative form) his gardener (agent) planted (Past Participle) (base infinitive)  more flowers (object).

'gardener is an expert: Use the Passive form instead: He has had more flowers planted.

Question: They're asking a florist to deliver the flowers to my address. (get)       Your answer: They’re (subject)  having (active causative form)  a florist (agent) delivered (Past Participle)  (base infinitivethe flowers  (object) to my address.

'florist' is an expert: Use the Passive form instead: They're having the flowers delivered to my address.

Question: If my mum has time, I'll ask her to make me some soup. (get)     Your answer: If my mum has time, I’ll (subject) get (active causative form)  her (agent) to make (base to-Infinitive ) me some soup (object frase).

Question: The firm may be asking auditors to audit the accounts. (have)      Your answer: The firm  (subject) may be having (active causative form) auditors (agent) audit (base Infinitive ) the accounts (object).

'auditors' are  experts: Use the Passive form instead: The firm may be having the accounts audited.

Butterfly 55

Thanks for the reply. Still with an issue left ,or is it a bug.  You suggested  'gardener is an expert: Use the Passive form instead: He has had more flowers planted.
Question: He has asked his gardener to plant more flowers. (have)
Your answer: He has had more flowers planted .

Minoo

That is the correct answer. I've just entered it myself into the test, and it was fine.

It looks as if you have an extra space between 'planted' and your full stop. That must be why you've had an error message.