Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly 55

Linking words - concession & contrast; further explained

Butterfly 55

1. They're competitors, but they're on friendly terms. (even though) even if/ though: despite the fact or belief that; no matter whether.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          They are on friendly terms even though they are    competitors.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Even thought they’re competitors, they’re on friendly terms.

2. The restaurant was run-down, but the food was excellent.   
 Although:   1. used for introducing a statement that makes the main statement in a sentence seem surprising.                                                                                                                                                                     2. used to mean ‘but ʼ(concession) or ‘howeverʼ when you are commenting on a statement.   

The food was excellent although the restaurant was run-down.  Although the restaurant was run-down, the food was excellent.
I felt he was wrong, although I didnʼt say so at the time.  
Although the sun was shining, it wasnʼt very warm. 

3.   We'd left quite late, but we got there on time. (still)   We left quite late; still, we got there on time.
Although/ We’d left quite late. Still, we got there on time.     Still: despite what has just been said.

Although/The weather was cold and wet. Still, we had a great time.

4. The company's share price has fallen, but they continue to be in profit.                    Nonetheless : Despite this fact.                                                                                                                                                          The company’s share price has fallen; nonetheless they continue to be in profit.  The company’s share price has fallen. Nonetheless they continue to be in profit.

5.   It appears to be a good idea, but the management have some reservations.                 Nevertheless : despite sth that you have just mentioned.                                                                                                          It appears to be a good idea; nevertheless, the management have some reservations.

6.   I tend to book things in advance, but my sister likes to be spontaneous.       While : used to contrast two things.
I tend to book things in advance while my sister like to be spontaneous.       While my sister like to be spontaneous, I tend to book things in advance.  

7. She hardly eats anything, but she's overweight.  However : used to introduce a statement that contrasts with something that has just been said.                                                                                                   She hardly eats anything; however, she's overweight.  She hardly eats anything. However, she's overweight.

8. She hadn't studied, but she passed all her exams. Though : despite the fact that.  
She hadn't studied though she passed all her exams.                Although, she passes all her exams without studying really. Though she passes all her exams, she hadn’t studied. (yet)

9.   He's an engineer, but he can't change a light bulb. Yet - conjunction : despite what has just been said.                                                                                                                                                                            He's an engineer, yet, and yet he can't change a light bulb.

It is a small car, yet it is surprisingly spacious.  
He has a good job, and yet he never seems to have any money.

10.  (Speaking of Bob) Bob attended a private school, but Sam went to a public school. Whereas : used to compare or contrast two facts.
Bob attended a private school whereas Sam went to a public school.
Whereas Sam went to a public school, Bob attended a private school.

Some of the studies show positive results, whereas others do not.  
We thought she was arrogant, whereas in fact she was just very shy. 

P.S. Had great help thanks to the Oxford application Dictionary.

Edited by Butterfly 55
Lay out went wrong, so I can’t help it.

Minoo

Hello Butterfly55,

Thank you for sharing your notes and additional examples for linking words of concession and contrast.

For those of you who want more details and exercises, this is the lesson that Butterly55 has summarised here: Advanced Grammar Lesson 11.