Butterfly 55

All tenses - my mistakes rectified

Butterfly 55

She seldom hears from her sister.   Present Simple - fact.
Let’s go in. It begins to rain.
She isn’t applying for any job at the moment.
The wind is blowing all night.
Her eyes are red because she has been crying.     Present Perfect Continuous - to cry - action was in progress for some time.

He hasn’t checked any of his e-mails today.     Present Perfect - today -, no precise time marker.
They aren’t thinking of moving abroad at the moment.     Present Continuous - considering it.
She doesn’t think we should leave right now.              Present Simple - believe.
She caught a bad cold last week.                                 Past Simple - completed action within a certain time frame in the past. Time marker: last week.
She hasn’t had a job when she lived in Paris.                       Past Perfect - has not had a job - action that was completed before a precise moment or another action in the past - emphasises the result.

He had broken all the rules when he stole that money.
She hadn’t thought about that option until I mention it.    Present Perfect - believe - time marker: until.
I had written several books before I wrote this one.         Past Perfect - action that was completed before a precise moment in the past - time marker: before.
By 5 p.m. , we had been waiting in his office for three hours.            Past Perfect Continuous - action that had already started and still continued, or had just ended before, at a precise moment in the past. - with time marker: for three hours.
We’ve made a decision. We will not buy a boat.

Minoo
On 3/18/2019 at 5:35 PM, Butterfly 55 said:

She seldom hears from her sister.   Present Simple - fact.
Let’s go in. It begins to rain.
She isn’t applying for any job at the moment.
The wind is blowing all night.
Her eyes are red because she has been crying.     Present Perfect Continuous - to cry - action was in progress for some time.

He hasn’t checked any of his e-mails today.     Present Perfect - today -, no precise time marker.
They aren’t thinking of moving abroad at the moment.     Present Continuous - considering it.
She doesn’t think we should leave right now.              Present Simple - believe.
She caught a bad cold last week.                                 Past Simple - completed action within a certain time frame in the past. Time marker: last week.
She hasn’t had a job when she lived in Paris.                       Past Perfect - has not had a job - action that was completed before a precise moment or another action in the past - emphasises the result.

He had broken all the rules when he stole that money.
She hadn’t thought about that option until I mention it.    Present Past Perfect - believe - time marker: until.
I had written several books before I wrote this one.         Past Perfect - action that was completed before a precise moment in the past - time marker: before.
By 5 p.m. , we had been waiting in his office for three hours.            Past Perfect Continuous - action that had already started and still continued, or had just ended before, at a precise moment in the past. - with time marker: for three hours.
We’ve made a decision. We will not buy a boat.

Hello Butterfly55,

I have marked the tenses that need correcting.

I invite yourself, or anyone else reading your post, to suggest the correct answers.

Butterfly 55

Best answer that I could come up with.

- … It begins to rain.    O.K.  Let’s go in. It’s going to rain. (= seen as a certainty.)
The wind….    The wind blew all night.  At eleven o’clock, the wind had been blowing all night.

She hasn’t had… must be in the Past Perfect, in conjunction with its past tense.: She hadn’t had a job when she lived in Paris.

He had broken… Present Perfect: He has broken all the rules when he stole that money.            Tricky one. The rules aren’t a thing of the past.
Why has he been discharged (dishonorably discharged)?  He has broken all the rules when he stole that money.

We’ve made a decision. (We will not buy a boat.) A decision which we have taken in the past: We aren’t going to buy a boat.

Butterfly 55

PS: People who I have met, or when questioning about their knowledges of English Language, will assume that they have fairly good working practice of speaking which seems enough for them. They have learned it through television programmes  and entertainment, but nothing  could be much further from the truth, only a few of them  have a reasonable grasp of it. 

That is why I am on Anglo Link. Regards.

O.K.   the true  = the truth

PHIL73

Hello Butterfly 55,

When I first read your comment, I was pretty sure that I was the only Belgian member of this forum, so I took it personally. I even reported the comment twice... But it was before I think of looking at your profile. And now I understand that you know well what you're talking about, of course. (my bad :wacko:)

You maybe right but, as a matter of fact, we know very well that Flemish people speak English better than French speakers in general, because they speak a Germanic language already. 

Butterfly 55

- She seldom hears from her sister.   Present Simple - fact.

- She isn’t applying for any job at the moment. Suggest periode: action going on at the moment.
- The wind has been blowing all night.  Suggest duration: action that started in the past and is still in progress - time marker: all night.

- Her eyes are red because she has been crying.   
 Suggest the periode: Present Perfect Continuous - to cry - action was in progress for some time.
- He hasn’t checked any of his e-mails today.     Suggest the result: Present Perfect - today -, no precise time marker.
- They aren’t thinking of moving abroad at the moment.           Suggest the periode: Present Continuous - considering it.
- She doesn’t think we should leave right now.            Suggest the moment: Present Simple - doesn't believe at that the  moment has come.
- She caught a bad cold last week.                                 Suggest past moment: Past Simple - completed action within a certain time frame in the past. Time marker: last week.
 - She hasn’t had a job when she lived in Paris.                 Suggest the result: (When saying something like sentence A, then the thought B had to follow…And so she returned) Present Perfect          - has not had a job - action that was completed before a precise moment or another action in the past.
-  She hadn’t thought about that option until I mentioned it.   Suggest the result - Present Perfect - could not imagine, being ignorant - time marker: until.
-  I had written several books before I wrote this one.        Suggest the result: Past Perfect - action that was completed before a precise moment in the past - time marker: before.
-  By 5 p.m. , we had been waiting in his office for three hours.               Suggest the duration  -      Past Perfect Continuous - action that had already started and still continued, or had just ended before, at a precise moment in the past. - with time marker: for three hours.
- We’ve made our decision. We aren’t going to buy a boat. Suggest our intention.
- Has she planned how she is going to stop him? Suggest her plan.
- I will have my hair cut by the time you finish work. Suggest decision at the time of speaking.     Jane doesn’t have her baby by the end of the month, will she? Suggest a future possibility.

Minoo

Very good , Butterfly55!

Just two sentences you need to think about again:

She hasn’t had a job when she lived in Paris.

I will have my hair cut by the time you finish work.

Butterfly 55

Thanks a lot. Feel still very unsure about the tenses, but 'time will be a great healer'.

She didn’t have a job when she lived in Paris.   Past Simple, completed action in a certain time frame in the past. 

Another example: Did you play tennis yesterday? Yes, I played yesterday morning, but I didn’t play in the afternoon.

I will have had my hair cut by the time you finish work. 

Another example: Jane will have read the whole newspaper by the time she leaves for work.

Minoo

Good corrections!

Be patient; tenses are complicated. Go forward in your study plan, and return regularly to this lesson to revise them.