Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly 55

Mistake?

Butterfly 55

Intermediate Grammar Modul;   Unit 19 excerceses: number 3: About modal verbs: can, could, may & might.

Request that I put you through to Sales.  Answer: Could you put me through to Sales, please?

Request that you  being put through to Sales. Could you put me through to Sales, please?

Minoo

Hello,

I'm not sure what the mistake is. Could you be more specific, please?

If you want to use the Passive form: Request that you BE put through to Sales.

Butterfly 55

Thanks for the reply.

Request that I put you (= reflexive pronoun , yourself) through to Sales.  Anwers: Could you put me through to Sales, please?  

Request that you put yourself through to Sales. Anwers: Could you put me through to Sales, please?

Minoo

Hello,

'you' is not a reflexive pronoun in English. 'yourself' is what you need to use to make a verb reflexive. So, the sentence means:

A: Make a request to ME (A) that I (A) put YOU (B) through. >> Could YOU (A) put me (B) through?

Butterfly 55

Thanks.  I am reading those lines as follow:

Teacher asks student how to correctly answer the phone  : Make a request to me that I put you through. Student answers: Could you put me through?