Sign in to follow this  
MariaTeresa

Present Subjunctive

MariaTeresa

Do we always have to use the Present Subjunctive, with the expressions and verbs that suggest that something is important or recommended, when we are writing an essay during a test?

For me, it's a bit unnatural..

Minoo

Hello Maria-Teresa,

No, in everyday conversation, you don't need to use the subjunctive at all. You can just use the present tense, or use 'should' (British English). The subjunctive is more common in American English, and in very formal contexts in British English. 

MariaTeresa

..I've always thought that written English was only formal.. isn't it bad to write as we speak? Does it depend on the subject?

I'm taking my first written text next week: I'll just try to write clearly then, not to formally, using proper grammar, spellig, punctuation and forgetting about those complex grammatical structures or sentence patterns I've never fully comprehended.

Thanks for your immediate reply!