Minoo

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Minoo

This expression means that when we're far from the people we love, we love them even more.

There's an expression that says the opposite is true too: when we're too close to someone, we begin to see their faults and start to lose our respect for them. See if you can find the missing words:

................................. breeds ..................................  

ANSWER: Familiarity breeds contempt.

PHIL73

Hello Minoo,

It could have been: "Out of sight, out of mind", but it doesn't match the verb you've given. So, I think the answer must be: "Familiarity breeds contempt".

(I hurried to answer this time, because I was afraid of some Russian guys who sometimes hang around. some even have a boat, it seems... ;) )

Minoo
17 hours ago, Chary said:

Distance breeds fondness.

Am I right minoo?

Hello Hari,

You have created a nice synonym for the idea expressed by 'Absence makes the heart grow fonder.' However, it's not what I was looking for: I wanted an expression that expressed the opposite, which Phil has found: Familiarity breeds contempt. Nevertheless, you deserve some credits for participating and being creative. Well done!

Minoo
17 hours ago, PHIL73 said:

Hello Minoo,

It could have been: "Out of sight, out of mind", but it doesn't match the verb you've given. So, I think the answer must be: "Familiarity breeds contempt".

(I hurried to answer this time, because I was afraid of some Russian guys who sometimes hang around. some even have a boat, it seems... ;) )

Well done, Phil! You certainly beat Sergey to it this time. 

And thank you for sharing the other expression 'Out of sight, out of mind.' 

serg59

Hello everyone,

I just took my eye off the ball for a minute and was immediately defeated by monsieur Phil! My congratulations! Alrighty then. Be aware I'll be back. :angry::D