Past tense

Ashutosh Joshi

Can someone please answer this I want this sentence to convert in simple past here is the sentence "it was quite late when I had arrived for the interview" I want to know is this sentence correct or not or if correct than what's the simple past form I have the answer but I don't think it's correct it here is my answer it was quite late when he arrived for the interview

Hello Ashutosh,

"It was quite late when he arrived for the interview"; I don't see anything wrong in this sentence, so in my opinion, it is correct. The second part was in the past perfect tense, and now it's in the past simple as you wanted.

So, it must be fine.

I also think that Correct sentence  is :    It was quite late when he arrived for the interview

Both parts should be in past simple. If one work completed before the other one, only then we can use Past perfect in earlier finished work.

As there is example:              When I arrived at the station, train has left.

Hope you unterstand

Regards:    Muhammad Mehboob

• Head Tutor

Muhammad is quite right in his description of when we use Past Perfect. However, his example has a typing mistake, which I have corrected below:

When I arrived at the station, the train had left.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.